Monday, October 17, 2011

Chocolate Moon



In completing this project I think I was meant to learn how to make something look like it is covered in chocolate.  Although I believe I learned the basic skills in order to have this effect, I don't think I was able to capture the full effect of the chocolate dripping, it just doesn't look very real to me.  I did learn all of the tools and a lot of new information that I'm sure will help me on other projects.

Unfortunately this project didn't quite turn out how I thought it would, the only really challenging part was figuring out where to put the drips and then making them the correct size in order to make them look real.  I also had a hard time with the highlights, it was difficult to control the mouse to make it do what I wanted, in other words the drips were kind of hard to draw. 

My favorite part of this project was coming up with different objects to cover in chocolate, it was fun to look through the different pictures online and think about how it might look or work to colorize them and put chocolate drips all over it.  My least favorite part was creating the highlights, I felt like that point was when the image really didn't fit together and it looked fake.  It was difficult to figure out where to put highlights outside of the drips, but I still thought it turned out pretty well. 

I would rate my creativity on this project pretty high, I thought I had some good ideas on what to cover in chocolate.  I had really liked my idea to use a hand and I was sorry it didn't work out.  Even though it didn't turn out exactly how I thought, I still thought putting the moon on the scene of the boats was clever and that part turned out well.  The only part that wasn't as creatively inclined was the fact that the moon was simply a circle, it wasn't very complicated. 

This class is still going well, I'm pretty sure this is my half credit! :) I have a feeling that after this I'm going to have a harder time picking projects that I want to do, but I'm becoming a lot more comfortable with the tools needed and I'm able to use what I know to problem solve or create my own effects on different projects.  I'm super excited to learn and create more!

2 comments:

  1. that moon looks kinda yummy.

    i'm glad the class is going well. you definitely seem more comfortable with the software and more able to put your focus on cool ideas, which is awesome.

    i actually don't have a problem with your drips or your highlights. i think the center highlight on the moon would benefit from being a slightly darker color, but that's just a matter of taste. i actually quite like the two highlights you have on the circle part of the moon. i think it makes it look very 3-dimensional. it kind of looks like a lolly pop (which is why it looks so delicious, i think.) it is not uncommon for students to find their versions of the assignment to be unrealistic -- i think you guys stare at it for so long that it's hard to be objective about how real or fake it looks. but to the audience (and me), it looks good. so i hope you can take some consolation in that.

    the only suggestion i have for improvement would be to cut out the moon (before adding the drips) because there's a thin red outline on it as well as some white in the bottom left. it's a little distracting in the image that's just the chocolate moon. it's not bad in the boat image, though, because the moon's smaller.

    overall, great work!

    GRADING
    Creativity: 100
    Artistry: 95
    Effort: 100
    Mastery of Unit Goals: 100
    Followed Directions: 100

    Unit AVG: 99

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just turned in your credit. You earned a 100 average. You are now in part B!

    ReplyDelete